Snow Day and Taco Soup


Driving clear across the state for a gymnastics meet, we narrowly avoided a blizzard that blew through most of Minnesota on Sunday night. The winds continued to howl most of yesterday, and as a result schools, including the university, highways and interstates were closed. Which meant no work and no school.

I was grateful for the extended weekend. My house was cleaned, clothes were washed, and I threw together a soup for dinner. Because we've been on the road two weekends in a row, my pantry was a bit bare. I had to get creative with my ingredients for this soup and I must say, it turned out super (pardon the pun!). I have agreed to share the recipe as long as no one pokes fun at my use of ingredients!

1 lb ground beef (I used ground venison)
1 medium onion
1 15 oz can Hormel No Bean Chili
1 15 oz can black beans
1 14.75 oz can cream style corn
1 C frozen corn
1 10 oz can Rotel tomatoes and green chilis
1 6 oz can tomato sauce
2 14.5 oz cans of tomatoes (whole, crushed, or diced)
1 9 oz package of taco seasoning mix
1 teas. ground cumin
1/2 teas. crushed red pepper flakes
salt and pepper to taste

Brown the beef with onion, salt and pepper to taste. Drain beef mixture. Add Hormel Chili, taco seasoning mix, cumin, and red pepper flakes, mix well. Transfer meat and seasoning mixture to crock pot (I used my 5 qt pot). Add remaining ingredients along with additional salt and pepper to taste. Cook on low for 8 hours. Serve with choice of condiments; cheese, sour cream, corn chips, etc.





Cream style corn and Hormel Chili???? Really??? I know it sounds strange, but I found that the cream style corn and hormel chili helped to provide some body to the soup and kept it from becoming too running as it cooked. In addition any type of bean could be substituted for the black beans. I just happen to be partial to black beans. Try it! I promise you'll like it!

drea  – (January 26, 2010 at 11:57 AM)  

i've always wanted to try this soup! I am going to add it to the list for next week. thanks.

Jami  – (January 27, 2010 at 8:56 AM)  

Yum! I am going to try this.

Malika  – (January 29, 2010 at 10:05 AM)  

As Plato said, Necessity is the mother of invention. You seemed to have invented a great soup that I am going to try to recreate this weekend. It actually sounds delicious to me :)

About how many servings did this make?

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP